120 hospitalised in Kano as expired Industrial gas contaminates air


Not less than 120 people, mostly women and children, have been hospitalised after suspected toxic chemicals from an expired industrial gas cylinder contaminated the air and spread to the neighborhood of Mundadu, a surburb of Kano.

The incident occurred one Friday, where one Saifullahi gathered scrap metals and crushed for recycling.

In reaction to the incident, the ward head of the area, Magaji Abdullahi, stated:

“I was informed this evening that there was problem where Saifullahi Muhammad does his scrap metal collection business.”

Confirming the incident, the public relations officer, Kano State Fire Service, Saminu Abdullahi, said:

“About 70 of them were taken to Jaen Primary Healthcare, while 50 were taken to the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital for treatment,” he said, adding that so far, no life has been lost in the incident.”