Barely few hours after incumbent President, Felix Tshisekedi won re-election, a group of main opposition candidates in the Democratic Republic of Congo DRC’s presidential poll has rejected the results of the country.
Recall that President Tshisekedi won about 73% of the vote, with his nearest challenger, Moise Katumbi, on 18%, according to the electoral commission CENI.
However, in their joint statement hours before the announcement, the nine opposition candidates pointed to irregularities observed before, during and after the voting process.
They believed that the process violated the electoral law with the continuation of voting for six days, the existence of parallel polling stations and the control of voting machines by candidates they identify as having links with the current regime.
“We categorically reject this sham election,” nine opposition candidates said in a joint statement on Sunday morning. “We call on our people, as soon as the electoral fraud is proclaimed, to protest massively in the streets”, Martin Fayulu told the press.
These irregularities make the December 20 quadruple ballot a “farce” or “masquerade” according to the opposition statement. The Congolese government had previously rejected calls for a rerun of the elections.