The Commissioner for Health in Sokoto State, Ali Inname, has confirmed the death of twenty-four family members in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward of Isa Local Government Area of the state.
According to the commissioner, the family members lost their lives on Monday after eating a poisonous substance in their food.
The Commissioner stated that the incident was caused by the use of a chemical like a fertiliser as a seasoning for their food.
It was revealed that the poisonous substance is known Gishirin Lalle in Hausa.
He said, ”Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival.”
”Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive.”
“Food stores should be secured to prevent access to flies, while cooked food and water sources should be secured,” he said.
”Wells should have covers to prevent contamination from faces of surface water after a rainfall, the water should be boiled before use, especially in rural areas.
”Report to a health facility or isolation camp in your area early when you observe any unusual symptoms or unusual condition.”