Fresh bandit attacks at Lolmolog village in Samburu West left four people dead on Saturday despite an ongoing security operation in the area.
The attacks occurred as local leaders, national government administration officers and police gathered about 10 kilometres away at Marti village to bury principal chief Stephen Letolua.
Letolua was a victim of a previous bandit attack in the area as he was one of the eight people killed following attacks in the Lkeeksapurki area last week.
Two herdsmen were gunned down on Saturday afternoon at around 2 pm at Lolmolok area by armed bandits believed to be from a neighbouring community.
In another separate incident, armed bandits raided Marti area in Samburu North in the wee hours of Saturday.
They killed two children before driving away an unknown number of livestock.
The Saturday attack occurred as tension is rising in the area following a series of attacks that have left 12 people dead and hundreds of families displaced.
Samburu county commissioner Henry Wafula said the government was committed to ending banditry in the region and promised to protect the people.
“The government is aware of the challenges you people are facing, and we are doing everything we can to ensure you and your property are protected. Please do not flee your homes,” Wafula said.
Kindiki imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in banditry-prone areas as he declared them disturbed and dangerous.
The 30-day curfew began on February 14, but it seems it is not detecting the attacks.