Days after a deadly gas explosion killed three people and injured nearly 300 in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, authorities have reported another gas leak at the site of the blast.
It said they have evacuated residents from the area and ordered schools in the neighbourhood of Embakasi to also ask parents to pick up their children.
The area has since been secured by authorities, Nairobi County’s head of Disaster Management Bramwel Simiyu was quoted as saying by the private NTV channel.
“It is just precautionary we have evacuated them as we invited the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (Epra) to identify whether there is a threat,” Mr Simiyu told Kenyans news website.
Last week several residents told local media that authorities had ignored their reports about a gas leak, hours before the fatal Thursday night explosion.
A lorry carrying gas cylinders exploded on Thursday at about 23:30 local time (20:30 GMT), “igniting a huge ball of fire”, an official said, and destroying several homes and vehicles.
The death toll from the blast rose to six on Sunday.