Not Less Than 100m telephone lines risk disconnection by December 31

0
1037

Not less than 100 million telecommunication subscribers risk disconnection as deadline for telephone subscribers in the country to link their lines draws near.

The deadline in view currently is December 31.

Meanwhile, Pantami had on December 10, 2021 disclosed that over 70 million unique NINs had been captured.

A source in the Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria revealed that only about 90 million subscribers had linked their SIMs to their NINs.

It was gathered that the association and the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, are currently discussing the likelihood of an extension.

“We are speaking with the minister and the NCC, we have not done much. We have only been able to link about 90 million SIMs with their NINs. An extension is likely, because if not, many subscribers would be disenfranchised.”

According to the Nigerian Communications Commission, there were 229,582,206 connected lines in Nigeria in October, and only 191,618,839 lines were active.

The President, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria, Ikechukwu Nnamani, said the government would review its activities before deciding on whether to extend the deadline.

He said, “I believe the last statistics from the minister is that over 70 million Nigerians have been captured at NIN, which is a great progress from where it was two years ago.

“So, that is commendable. As always, the government will review what is outstanding and make a decision if the deadline should be extended or not.”

“It is about seven days to the end of the deadline; I want to implore the ministry to engage ALTON and ATCON on how much progress they’ve made.

“If it covers a minimum of 80 percent of subscribers, we are good to go. But if it is less, we are pleading for an extension. Depending on how far we have come, the extension might be needed. A minimum of 80 per cent of the total number of subscribers must be achieved first,” he added.