The death toll from floods that have hit South Africa’s east coast has reportedly risen to 443, including a rescuer, on Sunday, as dozens more are still missing.
“The death toll now stands at 443,” Sihle Zikalala, the premier of the KwaZulu-Natal province told a media briefing, adding that 63 other people are still unaccounted for.
A member of the rescue and recovery team “experienced difficult breathing and was airlifted to… hospital. Unfortunately he passed away.”
It was gathered that rains were starting to let up in the flood-ravaged east, allowing for search and relief aid operations to continue after one of the deadliest storms in living memory.
Zikalala said the “inclement weather has slowed our assessment and rescue operation on the ground, but we are once again back in the full swing.”
Meanwhile, the number of flood-related emergency calls had decreased compared to early last week.
“Fortunately now the flood waters have receded and [some] roads cleared. It’s a lot easier to access the community,” he said.