Woman slashes Teenage Daughter with Razor Blade over alleged Theft


The Bayelsa State Police Command has arrested a woman for inflicting serious injuries on her 13-year-old daughter, Ebimi Tokoye, by slashing her with a razor blade over alleged theft of N1,500.

The 35-year-old woman identified as Priye Rich-man, was arrested by operatives of the Ekeki Division on Sunday, April 18.

It was gathered that the suspect tied her daughter with ropes and slashed every part of her body with razor blade.

The doctors who treated the girl at the police hospital, said the child was brought in by the members of the Girl Child advocacy groups, with multiple lacerations and over 15 stitches were carried out on the injuries including damage to the tendon on her feet.

According to one of the doctors, Ebimi Tokoye also sustained deep cuts to her buttocks and shoulder.

While recounting her experience, the victim, disclosed that her mother also rubbed pepper and kerosene on the wounds.

“My mother came back around 12 pm on Sunday, after church, and accused me of stealing her N1,500 and I denied because I didn’t see the money. She started beating me and tied me with ropes. She started slashing all parts of my body with razor blade. She later rubbed pepper and kerosene on the injuries,” she explained.

“A neighbour pushed down the door and rescued me. The incident lasted over two hours. The concerned neighbour later called members of the Girl Child Advocacy groups who took charge and arrested my mother. And hand her to the Police.”

In reaction to the incident, President of the Do Foundation, Dise Sheila Ogbise, condemned the rising cases of domestic violence against the girl-child in the state and the male child.

“We condemn these rising cases and call on the members of JUSUN to quickly call off their strike action to allow the quick prosecution of this case to deter others from engaging in the wicked acts of violence against their children.”

Meanwhile, the spokesperson of the Command, Asinim Butswat, who confirmed the incident on Tuesday, explained that the accused woman is in police custody and investigation is ongoing.